Family Lawyer in Glendale, CA
The City of Glendale is situated in Los Angeles County, California, roughly eight miles to the north of downtown Los Angeles.
Glendale, which is part of the vast San Fernando Valley, measures a little more than 30 square miles in size and is home to roughly 191,700 people. The community is also known for its vibrant Armenian population, which is one of the largest in the United States.
Once named Los Angeles’ Neighborhood of the Year by Curbed.com, Glendale is home to many couples and families, some of which may, at some point, experienced family law issues, like divorce and alimony, that require the assistance of a qualified attorney.
Spousal Support in California
When a couple makes the difficult decision to divorce, alimony is typically one of the key areas of concern, especially in situations where both spouses may not be financially independent.
Alimony starts with a written agreement, or order, if necessary, requiring one spouse, typically known as the “payor spouse”, to pay a designated amount to the supported spouse. The supported spouse may also sometimes be referred to as the “payee spouse”. This order must be filed with the court prior to any payments being made.
In the state of California, spouses are able to request either temporary or permanent alimony or both.
- Temporary alimony refers to a regular payment made from the higher earning spouse to the other spouse and is referred to as “temporary” since it is intended only to provide financial support during the divorce proceedings. Once a permanent alimony order has been issued, temporary alimony is lifted
- Permanent alimony, on the other hand, is sometimes known as “long-term support”, and is granted to assist the supported spouse in keeping the “marital standard of living”, or the financial quality of living established during the course of the marriage, even once the divorce has been granted
Unlike temporary alimony, which is determined using a computer program that analyzes factors like income, insurance deductions or other cost-related considerations, permanent alimony is determined by the court. Permanent alimony decisions also involve a number of other factors, including:
- The spouse’s ability to pay alimony
- Both individual’s financial needs, compared to the marital standard of living
- The marriage length
- The health and age of both spouses
- Earning capacity of both spouses
Spousal Support Attorneys in Glendale
If you or someone you love is involved in the divorce process, or if you are experiencing issues related to alimony, it is in your best interest to contact a family law attorney as soon as possible. Only a qualified attorney can evaluate your situation according to California’s family laws, and help you chart a course of action.
In Glendale and the surrounding communities in Los Angeles County, the skilled attorneys at Whitmarsh Family Law, PC specialize in handling a variety of family law issues, including those related to alimony. Our legal team understands that dealing with divorce is never easy, but we also understand how important it is to protect your future. Let us work with you and your loved ones to find a solution that yields the best possible results.
We are happy to offer new clients the convenience of a free initial consultation to help assess your family law case. Do not delay, our attorneys can provide the help you need today – call Whitmarsh Family Law, PC at (310) 552-3505.
At Whitmarsh Family Law, PC, our family law attorney in Los Angeles, CA focuses on the following practice areas:
- Child Support
- Child Custody
- Spousal Support
- Domestic Violence
- Prenuptial Agreement
- Same-Sex Prenuptial Agreement
Directions to our Los Angeles Family Law Attorneys From Glendale, CA
These directions are from Google Maps starting from:
Total Est. Time: 39 mins
Total Est. Distance: 13.1 mi
- Head south on S Brand Blvd toward W Elk Ave
- Turn right onto W Los Feliz Rd
- W Los Feliz Rd turns slightly left and becomes N Western Av
- Turn right onto CA-2 W/Santa Monica Blvd
- Continue to follow CA-2 W
- Use the left 2 lanes to turn left onto Century Park E
- Turn right onto Constellation Blvd
- Turn right onto Avenue of the Stars
- Destination will be on the right
Whitmarsh Family Law, PC located at:
1900 Avenue of the Stars, Suite 1800 B
Los Angeles, CA 90067
We Also Serve The Following Areas: