Family Law Lawyer in Santa Monica, CA
The beachfront community of Santa Monica is located amid the urban sprawl of Los Angeles in Southern California.
Named for the Christian Saint Monica, the city of nearly 90,000 is part of an increasingly diverse west side of Los Angeles, surrounded by the communities of Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, Mar Vista and Venice.
Those residing in Santa Monica or the surrounding communities in Los Angeles may experience family law disputes or difficulties that require legal action, like in cases involving divorce, child custody or child support. If and when that occurs, it is always best to seek the guidance of a family law attorney.
Child Support in California
When a divorcing couple is negotiating a divorce settlement, they may include special provisions in the agreement if there are children involved. Most commonly, this is seen through custody and support agreements.
When a court issues a child support order, it requires separated or divorced parents to pay dedicated funds each month to help cover their child’s living expenses. This can include basic essentials, like food, healthcare, clothing, and shelter, but can also extend to additional funds, like education, etc. depending on the situation.
The amount of support required is determined on a case-by-case basis. In the state of California, the law provides specific guidelines that courts are required to follow when determining child support payments. This includes taking into consideration the income of both parents, in addition to any other financial burdens, like healthcare expenses and basic living expenses.
However, it is possible for spouses to reach their own support agreement, without first receiving a formal order from the court. Instead, parents can draft their own agreement to submit to state courts that acknowledge that:
- Both parents know and understand their rights
- Neither parent was forced to enter any agreement
- The proposed agreement maintains the best interest of the child
- The proposed agreement covers the full scope of the child’s needs
- The parents are not currently receiving, nor have they applied for, public assistance
Regardless of whether a couple opts to negotiate their own support agreement, or if it requires an order by the court, it is always best to seek the guidance of a family law attorney, in order to ensure that the future interests of you and your loved ones are protected.
Contacting a Family Law Attorney
If you or someone you know is involved in a divorce involving children, or if you are in the midst of a child support dispute, it is important that you find legal representation that you can trust.
That’s where the family law attorneys at WHITMARSH FAMILY LAW, PC come in. Our legal team handles a range of family law issues, including those related to divorce, child custody, and child support. No matter what matter you are dealing with, our attorneys will handle it with the utmost professionalism, skill, and integrity.
We understand that your family’s well being is important to you, and that’s why we are committed to helping our clients achieve the best possible results.
Let our attorneys work with you to resolve your child support issue today. To schedule an initial consultation to assess your case, contact the family law attorneys at WHITMARSH FAMILY LAW, PC today at (310) 552-3505.
At WHITMARSH FAMILY LAW, PC, our family law attorney in Los Angeles, CA focuses on the following practice areas:
- Child Support
- Child Custody
- Spousal Support
- Domestic Violence
- Prenuptial Agreement
- Same-Sex Prenuptial Agreement
Directions to our Los Angeles Family Law Attorneys From Santa Monica, CA
These directions are from Google Maps starting from:
Santa Monica, CA
Total Est. Time: 13 mins
Total Est. Distance: 7.1 mi
- Head southeast on Lincoln Blvd toward Broadway 0.5 mi
- Use the left 2 lanes to turn left onto Olympic Blvd (signs for Los Angeles/Santa Monica Fwy) 486 ft
- Use the left 2 lanes to merge onto I-10 E via the ramp to Los Angeles
- Merge onto I-10 E 2.5 mi
- Take exit 3A to merge onto I-405 N toward Sacramento 1.2 mi
- Take exit 55A toward CA-2/Santa Monica Blvd 0.3 mi
- Use the right lane to merge onto Cotner Ave 246 ft
- Use the right 2 lanes to turn right onto Santa Monica Blvd 1.7 mi
- Turn right onto Century Park W 0.2 mi
- Turn left onto Constellation Blvd 0.2 mi
- Turn left onto Avenue of the Stars
- Destination will be on the right
WHITMARSH FAMILY LAW, PC located at:
1900 Avenue of the Stars, Suite 1850
Los Angeles, CA 90067
We Also Serve The Following Areas: