Family Lawyer in Long Beach, CA
Long Beach lies approximately twenty miles south of Los Angeles and is known as the “Aquatic Capital of America” due to its temperate climate, calm off-shore sailing waters, and the array of water sport opportunities in the area.
The Port of Long Beach is also one of America’s hardest working seaports which are known for being a trailblazer in the movement of goods and environmental stewardship.
As of 2010 well over 462,257 residents called Long Beach home. Of those residents, 99,229 were families which accounted for 60.7% of all households in the city, and 35.5% of households had children under the age of 18 living in them.
Child Custody and Divorce
A portion of these family households will eventually be divided as couples separate or divorce.
In the state of California, a judge will evaluate a custody-case based on what he or she believes is in the best interests of the child or children. There are two guiding policies which California law specifies:
- The safety, health and the good fare of a child must be a court’s primary concern
- Children benefit the most from having frequent and continual contact with both parents
What Role Does a Parent’s History Play in Custody?
A parent’s history is a factor when a California court is considering the health and safety of a child. For example, if a parent has been convicted of sexual or physical child abuse, it would be unlikely that a judge would grant custody or unsupervised visitation. Drug use, alcohol abuse, and physical abuse are other common factors considered.
Do Children Have a Say?
The law does not specify a specific age, but California requires courts to consider the wishes of a child as long as that child is mature enough to make a thoughtful choice regarding his or her custody.
Will Siblings Be Separated?
A judge will favor keeping all siblings together. Only in extraordinary circumstances would a judge decide to separate siblings.
Michael Whitmarsh of Whitmarsh Family Law, PC has been providing compassionate and sound guidance on setting up co-parenting agreements, child custody determinations, and other child custody-related issues for a number of years.
If you would like to discuss your particular concerns related to child custody or any family law-related issue, we invite you to call Michael Whitmarsh Whitmarsh Family Law, PC today at (310) 552-3505.
At Whitmarsh Family Law, PC, our family law attorney in Los Angeles, CA focuses on the following practice areas:
- Child Support
- Child Custody
- Spousal Support
- Domestic Violence
- Prenuptial Agreement
- Same-Sex Prenuptial Agreement
Directions to our Los Angeles Family Law Attorneys From Long Beach, CA
These directions are from Google Maps starting from:
Long Beach, CA
Total Est. Time: 33 mins
Total Est. Distance: 30.3 mi
- Head north on Pacific Ave toward W 3rd St
- Turn left at the 1st cross street onto W 3rd St
- Use any lane to take the Interstate 710 N ramp
- Merge onto W Shoreline Dr
- Use the left 2 lanes to take the Interstate 710 N ramp to Pasadena
- Merge onto I-710 N
- Use the right 2 lanes to take exit 4 for Interstate 405 S/Interstate 405 N toward San Diego/Santa Monica
- Keep left at the fork, follow signs for I-405 N and merge onto I-405 N
- Take exit 55A toward CA-2/Santa Monica Blvd
- Use the right lane to merge onto Cotner Ave
- Use the right 2 lanes to turn right onto Santa Monica Blvd
- Turn right onto Century Park W
- Turn left onto Constellation Blvd
- Turn left onto Avenue of the Stars
- Destination will be on the right
Whitmarsh Family Law, PC located at:
1900 Avenue of the Stars, Suite 1800 B
Los Angeles, CA 90067
We Also Serve The Following Areas: