Family Lawyer in Chatsworth, CA
The neighborhood of Chatsworth is situated in the north-west corner of the San Fernando Valley region in Los Angeles, California. Originally home to Native Americans, the area was colonized by the Spanish in the 18th century and later became part of the United States after the Mexican War.
Chatsworth is known as having one of the lowest population densities in the area and it boasts one of the highest income levels in the area at nearly $85,000 per household. The number of single parents raising a family in the town was very low (10%) and the percentage of married people were among the highest in the county.
Common Questions About Alimony
Though the divorce rate may be low in Chatsworth, divorce still does happen. In these situations, you may need to pay (or be eligible to receive) alimony payments.
Also known as “spouse maintenance” or “spousal support”, if you or your partner currently earns substantially more money than a spouse to whom you have been married to for several years, then alimony may be on the table.
How Long Does Alimony Last?
You may pay or receive alimony until:
- Your former spouse remarries
- The alimony concludes by a specific date set by a judge
- Your children no longer require a full-time parent in the home
- Someone retires (resulting in a re-calculation)
- A judge determines a spouse has not made a sufficient effort to become partially self-supporting
- One former spouse dies
Does the Court Decide How Long Alimony Is Paid?
This depends. If you and your former spouse can agree on a time frame in which alimony will be paid and received, then the courts will leave this in your hands. But if you cannot agree, then the court will set the terms of your alimony for you.
Can A Spouse Refuse to Pay?
If alimony payments are required, a spouse cannot refuse to make those payments. In these situations it is imperative that a spouse on either side take immediate legal action to learn about his or her rights and the most appropriate actions needed to be taken to secure the best possible outcome.
Michael Whitmarsh from Whitmarsh Family Law, PC is experienced with alimony and several other areas of family law. If you are facing a divorce and have questions about alimony or are seeking to have a current order re-adjusted, we can help.
Call us today at (310) 552-3505 to learn more about your options.
Directions to our Los Angeles Family Law Attorneys From Chatsworth, CA
These directions are from Google Maps starting from:
Total Est. Time: 33 mins
Total Est. Distance: 28.3 mi
- Head north on Shoup Ave toward Valley Cir Blvd
- Turn right onto Valley Cir Blvd
- Keep left to stay on Valley Cir Blvd
- Turn right toward Andora Ave
- Turn left onto Andora Ave
- Turn left onto Topanga Canyon Blvd
- Turn right to merge onto CA-118 E
- Merge onto CA-118 E
- Use the right 2 lanes to take exit 42A to merge onto I-405 S toward Santa Monica
- Use the right 2 lanes to take exit 55A toward CA-2/Santa Monica Blvd
- Turn left onto CA-2 E/Santa Monica Blvd
- Turn right onto Century Park W
- Turn left onto Constellation Blvd
- Turn left onto Avenue of the Stars
- Destination will be on the right
We are located at:
1900 Avenue of the Stars, Suite 1800
Los Angeles, CA 90067