Contact us

Contact Us

The form at the bottom of every page in the footer section.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Father Arrested after Failure to Pay Support

August 3, 2017, In Family Law

A father of three has found himself behind bars after refusing to pay nearly a quarter million dollars in back child support.

50-year-old Tony Haywood was married to his ex-wife, Renee Ainsworth, for 16 years. After divorcing in 2004, Haywood was instructed by a Georgia court to pay child support.

Haywood did not pay the child support, which lead to his pay check being garnished. After the first garnishment the father quit his job and moved to Mississippi.

Lives Turned Upside Down

The ex-wife stated that Haywood told her she would never see any further child support. She believed that he had been employed by his family’s trucking business and was paid by cash so he could evade garnishments.

Ainsworth and her three children no longer live in the home they owned. The mother also briefly signed up for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) to support her children.

Father Fails to Appear at Court

In 2012 Haywood was ordered to pay over $150,000 in back child support in Los Angeles as well as Ainsworth’s attorney fees. He did not appear at the hearing and an arrest warrant was issued.

After five years of being “off the grid”, Haywood was found in early 2017 and arrested for contempt of court.

Penalties for Willingly Refusing to Pay Child Support

If a delinquent parent is found to be in contempt, a number of penalties can be issued by a judge including:

  • A jail sentence and a fine of up to $1,000
  • An order that past due child support be garnished from the bank accounts, pension plans, Social Security disability benefits, worker’s compensation, lottery winnings and many other sources of income of a delinquent parent
  • A community service sentence for up to 120 hours for a first or second contempt (240 hours for a third contempt)
  • An order that the property of a delinquent parent be sold to pay back child support
  • An order that liens to placed on a delinquent parent’s property
  • An order that the wages of a delinquent parent be withheld to pay child support

Get Help Enforcing Child Support with WHITMARSH FAMILY LAW, PC

WHITMARSH FAMILY LAW, PC provides legal guidance and assistance to families dealing with family law-related issues in Southern California. We understand the stress and sensitivity that can surround these matters and we handle each situation with care and compassion.

We welcome you to schedule a free consultation with one of our family lawyers Los Angeles today at (310) 552-3505.

Contact Us

Fields marked with an * are required

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

If you are considering a Divorce in Los Angeles, CA, Contact our experienced Attorney Today and Get a Free Consultation.

Give us a call 310-552-3505