May 22, 2017, In Family Law
Few same-sex couples walk down the aisle and say “I do” believing that at some point their vows will be broken. After all, same-sex couples have a lower divorce rate than heterosexual couples, with the average divorce rate being 1.1%.
Same-Sex Couples Are More Likely to Have Considerable Assets
The primary reason for entering into a prenuptial agreement in Los Angeles is to protect your assets. Because same-sex marriages were and still are restricted in some states, same-sex couples in Los Angeles often become married later in life when they may already have considerable assets, including:
Why Your Prenuptial Agreement May Be Invalid
Prenuptial agreements are a valuable tool for couples if they plan to get married. But they are only useful if they are legally sound. Your prenuptial agreement may not be valid if:
- It is not a written agreement. Your agreement must be in writing in order for it to be enforceable
- One or both parties felt pressured. If one spouse was pressured to enter into the agreement by someone else (their partner, their family or a lawyer) it may not be legal
- It was improperly executed. Both parties have to sign the agreement prior to the marriage for it to be valid
- It has invalid provisions. A prenuptial agreement can cover many things, but it cannot determine items such as child support and it cannot violate the law
- The information is incomplete or false. The income, liabilities, and assets of both spouses must be fully disclosed in order for the agreement to be valid
Seek Independent Counsel for Your Prenuptial Agreement
Another reason why your agreement may not be valid is that you did not seek independent counsel. Because both spouses are individuals with separate interests, each party must have his or her own attorney for the agreement to be enforceable.
Speak with a Family Law Attorney at WHITMARSH FAMILY LAW, PC
If you are considering entering into a same-sex marriage with a prenuptial agreement in Los Angeles, CA or are disputing an existing one, it is important to speak with an experienced divorce attorney at WHITMARSH FAMILY LAW, PC to protect both your current and future interests.